Sep 6, 2010

Late Volleyball struggle

I've not been hitting/blocking/receiving the ball the way I expect myself to do lately ...
I don't know what is happening, when i am doing spiking practice it goes well, but when it comes time to execute the play i am always either doing the wrong timing or jumping from the wrong spot.
I've been trying to relax during a play but ...   though I feel like I am relaxed, I still gets paranoid.

actually my hitting power and jumping height is not bad. when i can do the skill properly, it turns out pretty well. however, I want just more than once in a while good plays. I know if i can be consistant, I can help the team more on it's offense, and if I block more consistantly, i can do more on defence.

someone told me I might just be in a slump... and this is all mental, but I am really confused right now on how do I get out of this mindset/slump.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Adam,

    First of all, thanks for getting this blog going. It will certainly be helpful in sorting out your thoughts about the program.

    Here's something I have already shared with some of your teammates: try breaking down a particular skill set (like spiking or blocking) into its individual components (ex: approach, armswing, body position, timing, etc…). Then ask yourself, "What am I doing right?" "Which part do I need to do better at?" Hopefully this can help you identify why you are not executing as well as you want to.

    Consistency comes from purposeful practice. The fact that you are questioning what you are doing is a good thing; it will help you focus. Learning the proper technique will get you the consistency that you're looking for. But you also have to be patient with yourself. After all, you are relatively VERY young in this sport. Considering the seasonal nature of our program and the limited exposure you guys have, you should know that you have made a lot of progress already. Continue to challenge yourself but make sure that you allow yourself to relax and enjoy the game as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed the date stamp on my comment. It's already Sept 7 now, 9:05 am. Please go into your settings and change the time zone to +8 Singapore =)

    ReplyDelete